American National Offers Tips to Avoid Holiday Shopping Scams
For more information, contact:
Marketing & Communications Officer
American National Bank and Trust Company
FOR RELEASE: December 2, 2014
DANVILLE, VA – In the wake of recent data breaches, shoppers should be on high alert while purchasing their presents this holiday season.
“While millions of credit and debit card transactions are conducted safely every day, it’s important that consumers are aware of the potential for holiday scams,” said Jeffrey V. Haley, president and chief executive officer of American National. “By following some basic tips, consumers can do a lot to keep their information safe whether they do their shopping in store or online.”
Tips for safeguarding personal and account information:
• Monitor your account. Use online and mobile banking to keep an eye on your transactions, especially during the holidays. Notify your bank right away if there is any fraudulent activity.
• Beware of phishing scams. During the holidays, criminals will create a fake email for a deal that is too good to be true. If you click on any links within the email, you may be downloading malware onto your computer or you may be asked for payment information that could lead to fraud.
• Limit large sums of cash. Even though we have seen financial crime migrate from physical to cyber, customers should be careful not to carry around large sums of cash when shopping. A bank will make you whole if there is fraud against your account. If cash is stolen, your money is gone.
• Secure your Internet connection. If shopping online, make sure you do so from a password protected Wi-Fi network. Never access online banking from a public Wi-Fi network.
• Shop safely. Before making an online purchase, make sure the website uses secure technology. When you are at the checkout screen, verify that the web address begins with https. Also, check to see if a tiny locked padlock symbol appears on the page.
About American National
American National Bankshares Inc. is a multi-state bank holding company with total assets of approximately $1.3 billion. Headquartered in Danville, Va., American National is the parent company of American National Bank and Trust Company. American National is a community bank serving southern and central Virginia and north central North Carolina with 24 banking offices and two loan production offices. American National Bank and Trust Company also manages an additional $643 million of trust, investment and brokerage assets in its Trust and Investment Services Division. Additional information about the company and the bank is available on the bank's website at amnb.com. Shares of American National are traded on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol "AMNB."