What you need to know about overdrafts and overdraft fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We offer Overdraft Express that is available 60 days after the date of account opening if your account is in good standing. See the Overdraft Express account disclosure for details on the limits of Overdraft Express.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account or line of credit, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more about these options, click here.
This notice explains our standard overdraft practices.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
As required by federal regulation, we will not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions (unless the account owner opts in to overdraft protection by completing the form below):
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction. If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
What fees will I be charged if American National Bank & Trust Company pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you the standard $36 each time we pay an overdraft.
- We will waive any overdraft fees you would have incurred from transactions for underlying transaction amounts of less than $5 or for transactions of any amount that overdraw your account by less than $5.
- For Overdraft Express, the maximum number of overdraft fees that you will be charged per day is limited to six or $216.
What if I want American National to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?
If you also want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, call your local branch or 1.800.240.8190, or complete the authorization form below.
Your account must be in good standing for 60 days after the date of account opening to be eligible. Neither Overdraft Express or this overdraft feature of paying ATM and everyday debit card transactions will be active for your account during the first 60 days after account opening. You may revoke your authorization at any time.
Thank you for your submission!
We will be in touch with you soon.